YOUNG ARCHIE COMPETITION
Bathurst Regional Art Gallery
Budding artists between the ages of 3 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Young Archie competition, as part of our family focused activities for the 2020 Archibald Prize regional tour.Budding artists between the ages of 3 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Young Archie competition, as part of our family focused activities for the 2020 Archibald Prize regional tour.
The portrait should be of a person who is special to you — someone who is known to you and plays a significant role in your life.
Competition opens: Thursday 5 March 2020
Entries must be received by: Friday 1 May, 5pm 2020
There are four age categories:
• 3-5 year olds
• 6-10 year olds
• 11-15 year olds
• 16-18 year olds
About your portrait subject
We prefer that the portrait is ‘painted from life’ and that your subject has a sitting for their portrait, like with the Archibald Prize. You may also create the portrait from memory or take your own photograph to use for reference.
For schools and pre-schools
We strongly encourage you to first run your own internal competition then submit only your top works (maximum of 10) into the official Young Archie competition at BRAG.
The competition will be judged by the BRAG curatorial team based on merit and originality.
• Five finalists from each category will be exhibited at BRAG and on the BRAG website.
• One winner will be chosen in each category.Each winner will receive a prize provided by ANZ.
• One artwork only per entrant.
• You may use any art materials you like but your artwork must be two-dimensional and on good-quality paper so that it can be framed for display if you are a finalist.
• Can be vertical or horizontal.Must be no smaller than A4 (210 x 297 mm), no bigger than A3 (420 x 297 mm) and no thicker than 2mm.
• Should be clearly labelled on the back with which way it should be displayed, along with your name, age, school or preschool and contact details. Make sure this doesn’t show through the front.
How to Enter
• Download, print and complete the entry form by clicking here, which includes a brief statement (less than 50 words) telling us who you have chosen to depict and why. This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
• Your artwork should be sent flat, not folded or rolled. We suggest you place it between two peices of cardboard to protect it.
• Pick up of work is determined if it is included as a finalist in the exhibition, BRAG will notify entrants of time for collection. If to be returned via mail please include stamped and self-addressed envelope of the correct size.
• Entries can be hand delivered or mailed to The Bathurst Regional Art Gallery, 70/78 Keppel Street, Bathurst by 5pm, Friday 1 May 2020.
Finalists will be announced on: Friday 8 May 2020
Winners will be announced on: Friday 15 May 2020 at 6pm
Exhibition dates: Friday 15 May – Sunday 28 June 2020
IMAGE: Archibald Prize 2019 finalist Carla Fletcher Charge of the Star Goddess (((Del Kathryn Barton))) mixed media on linen 200 x 150 cm. Photo: AGNSW, Jenni Carter. Sitter: Del Kathryn Barton - artist